Debasmita, a rare talent in the field of classical oriental dance started Kathak Talim under the guidance of Guru Dr. Malabika Mitra when she was eight years old till 2000. Now she is under the tutelage of Pt. Birju Maharaj. She has been a performer of such standard by which, she was honoured as the best dancer of “Rashtriya Yuba Utsab”, India in 1996. To acquire an in-depth knowledge in her own medium, Debasmita has rightly chosen dance as her academic subject. She stood First Class First in B.A(Honours) in Dance in 2002 from Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata and was awarded "NIRODBARAN MEMORIAL PRIZE" and "Dr. HIRANMOY BANDOPADHYAY SMRITI PURASKAR". She stood 1st Class first in MA (Dance) from Rabindra Bharati University in 2004 and was awarded "GOLD MEDAL" and "NIRODBARAN MEMORIAL PRIZE"
- Cultural talent search Scholarship holder since 1994 from CCRT, New Delhi (Centre for Cultural resource & training)
- Obtained “First” position in District Level Competition of West Bengal by the Dept. of Sports & Youth Services, Govt. of West Bengal in 1995
- Obtained “First” position in State Level Competition of West Bengal State Student Youth Festival 1995 organised by the Dept. of Sports & Youth Services, Govt. of West Bengal
- Obtained “First” position in “RASTRIYA YUVA UTSAV” 1996 organised by the Dept. of Youth Affairs & Sports, Govt. of India.
- First Division acclamation in Kathak Visharad II, in 1998, organised by Bhatkhande Sangeet Vidyapith, Lucknow.
- Honoured Talent Search contest 1998-99 by The Dover Lane Music Conference & West Bengal State Music Academy
- Awarded “Uday Shankar Centenary Award” 2000
- She has been awarded Senior Scholarship 2004 from Ministry Of Human Resource Development, HRD. Govt Of India.
- Selected for empanelment in the ICCR's Reference Panel of Artists.
- Qualified UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) for Junior Research Fellowship and Eligibility for lectureship in Colleges & Universities.
- At Rabindra Sadan, Kalamandir, G.D. Birla Sabaghar, Nazrul Manch in Kolkata
- At Korba, N. T. P. C in Madhya Pradesh, 1995
- At prestigious KONARK FESTIVAL in Orissa, 1996
- At UDAY SHANKAR NRITYOTSAV’ 96 Kolkata organised by West Bengal State Music Academy, Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre and West Bengal Dance Group Federation in 1996
- At Uttarpara Sangeet Chakra, West Bengal, 1996
- 10th RASTRIYA KALA MELA in New Delhi, 1997
- KATHAK UTSAV, 1997 in New Delhi organised by KATHAK KENDRA
- Doordarshan performance in “DEVITAME SARASWATI”, 1998
- Performance organised by West Bengal State Music Academy, 1999
- Participated at Megha Utsav in Orissa on 19th June, 2003
3. Association with Pt. Birju Maharaj:
- Workshops headed by Maharaj-ji since 1996 in Kolkata & Delhi
- Participation in a programme during Nov’99 in Guwahati, Digboy and Dibrugarh in North-East of India organised by SPIC MACAY (Society for promotion of Indian classical music and culture amongst youth)
- VASANTOTSAVA 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 in New Delhi
- UDAY SANKAR DANCE FESTIVAL 2001 in Kolkata
- KHAJURAHO Festival of Dances 2002 in Madhya Pradesh
- In the film “DEVDAS” of Sanjay Leela Bhansali under direction of Pt. Birju Maharaj
- In the festival 'LAKSHMAN MELA' in Lucknow
- In Jaipur Festival, Jaipur
- In KATHAK BALLET 'ROMEO & JULIET' in 2003, Kolkata & in 2004, New Delhi
- In Kathak Ballet 'KATHAK YATRA' in 2004, Kolkata.
Abroad : WERELD MUZIEK THEATER FESTIVAL 2002 in Holland
Cities of Holland:
- Den Haag
Participated in Bangkok's 9th International Festival of Drama and Music from Sept 9th to Oct 11th, 2007 as an Artiste of I.C.C.R. (Indian Council for Cultural Relation).
Debasmita is a regular artist of the production troupe of Pt. Birju Maharaj and a gradational artist of Kolkata Doordarshan.
4. Newspaper Appreciation:
• The STATESMAN 27 OCT 1995: Debasmita Mukherjee a promising dancer
• BARTAMAN 1st MARCH 1996 : Debasmita Mukherjee has proved herself by severe practice
• PRABASI ANANDA BAZAR 9th MARCH 1996: Debasmita Mukherjee, the too young disciple of Dr. Malabika Mitra, charmed the audience by the presentation of intricate rhythmic variations, Chakra Varmari, intricacies of metrical measures, Parans of Zoda Boles and lastly the depiction of incomparably beautiful, attitudinized Bhajan.
• The Telegraph Kolkata 4thjuly 2002 : They have learnt their Kathak from Pandit Birju Maharaj; they have matched the moves of Madhuri Dixit, and now they can't want for Devdas to hit the halls in their hometown. The release of Sanjay Leela bansali's Clasic Love Story' on July 12 will mark "a dream come true" for ............Debasmita ................all students of the Kathak legend.
• ANANDALOK KOLKATA 8th JULY '2002 : Clippings for working with Madhuri Dixit & in 'Debdas' .
• SANANDA KOLKATA, 1st APRIL 2003 : Dance drama "Romeo Juliete" by choreographer Saswati Sen and she appreciated the talent and commitment motivation of ....the participants of Kolkata along with Debasmita.
• THE NEW INDIA EXPRESS, BUBANESWARE, dated 21.06.03: Kolkata's Kathak dancer Debasmita Mukherjee a disciple of legendary Birju Maharaj and Dr. Malabika Mitra started with the traditional 'that'. Later the dancer's presentation of Abhinaya on celebration of Monsoon in Raag Mian Ki Mallhar own her enough applause.